Frederick "Freddy" Charles Krueger or The Nightmare is the tenth killer in Dead by Daylight and the third licensed killer. He was featured as a part of the A Nightmare On Elm Street™ Chapter.
“This place plays tricks on your mind…constantly I question whether I dream or if I am awake. This most recent horrid ghoul seems to bridge that gap – between the states of being awake or asleep. I saw him hunting another poor soul, someone who was not as lucky as me. A man with a hat and a claw clad hand, a scarred man of sorts. He spotted me and what actually happened next is still a mystery to me. Dreams took over, and I was sure to die. But I woke up. Not like in the manner where I awake at the campfire, but instead, I just woke up…inside this wretched forest, with memories of nightmares within. I am now afraid to sleep, but also to stay awake.”
Even while he lived, Freddy Krueger was a creature of the nightmare for those who truly knew him. Hiding behind a mask of warmth and friendliness, Freddy’s actual temperament was known only to his victims. When those victims were finally heard, the parents of Springwood tracked Freddy down and took the law into their own hands. They thought that fire had rid them of a monster that night, that their children were finally safe, but evil as strong as he has a way of surviving.
Years passed, the horror was buried, the victims mercifully forgot. Then, somehow, Freddy returned, and dreams became nightmares once again.
Freddy focused his anger on those he felt had wronged him, building up to his one true obsession, Nancy Holbrook. But he underestimated her strength and resourcefulness. Together with her friend Quentin, she managed to weaken Freddy, mutilating him and leaving him for dead once more.
Death didn’t want Freddy the first time he encountered it, why did they think it would take him now? He emerged once more, consumed with vengeance. Then he turned his sights on the boy who had blocked his path to Nancy, his number one.
Freddy invaded Quentin’s dreams, terrorizing him night after night until his strength and defenses would be at their lowest. When the time was right, he forced the boy to return to the dark reflection of Badham Preschool. Here he would have his final revenge.
Freddy stalked the boy through the school’s halls. He took his time, savoring every moment of the hunt. This was what he enjoyed the most, the smell of their sweat in the air, the ragged gasps of their terrified breath. They were his to toy with.
There was the boy, at the end of a long corridor. Too tired and scared to run anymore? Resigned to his fate? Freddy closed in, arms wide, claws raking the wall. Their tips traced along a pipe, the metallic shrieking only adding to the boy’s apprehension.
A shower of sparks rained on the ground, and into the liquid that covered the tiled floor. A blue flame blossomed and quickly engulfed the room.
The boy took flight as Freddy burst from the flames in a fury. Rooms and walls raced past in a blur until they were in Freddy’s basement. There would be no escape from here.
Slowly Freddy closed in on the boy. His fear was so strong now that Freddy could almost taste it, but his eyes burned with a defiant hatred that was almost admirable.
Freddy drew back his claws.
Then Freddy felt another presence with him; something old, powerful and dark. A miasma enveloped him and the only sensation was a sound like wooden beams flexing and creaking in the distance. The echoing groan of metal crushing against metal. Something arcane and unknowable, half-way between language and pure terror.
A moment of falling and spinning and then Freddy was back in the school. But not his school. It looked the same, but it felt different. His powers were tempered in some ways and focused on others. The boy had gone for now, but other prey walked the hallways. Some would be inconsequential; others would become his new favorites. All would fall before his claws.
Clawed Glove Edit
Clawed Glove is the Primary Weapon of The Nightmare. A homemade device crafted to torture and kill (as well as his chosen weapon during his child slaughters)
These are Perks which start off only appearing in the Nightmare's Bloodweb. After achieving Level 30, teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
If obtained other Killers are able to find the Nightmare's Perks in their Bloodwebs from that point on.
Freddy’s perks revolve around stopping Survivors from fleeing. Freddy’s perks will make surviving a real pain for all, and manage to escape the Hunting Ground won’t be easy.But this can be a double edge sword if not used properly, Make sure during early to mid game you keep the pressure on survivors to make these perks can be at their best.
|Blood Warden||Once per match, once at least one Exit Gate is opened, hooking a Survivor summons The Entity to block the exits for all survivors for 30/45/60 seconds. While Blood Warden is active, auras of survivors located within the Exit areas are revealed to you.
“This is my world. And you can’t ever leave.” –Freddy Krueger
Unique to Nightmare until level 40, which its Teachable version can then be learned and taught to the other Killers
|Fire Up||The increased pressure of losing your prey fills you with anger and gives you unsuspected motivation. Each time the Survivors complete repairs on a generator, Fire Up grows in power and grants speed bonus to pick up, drop pallet break, generator break and vaults.
Unique to Nightmare until level 30, which its Teachable version can then be learned and taught to the other Killers
|Remember Me||You become obsessed with one survivor. Each time you Hit your Obsession, you increase the opening time of the Exit Gates by 5 seconds up to a maximum of 20/25/30 seconds. The Obsession is not affected by Remember Me. Only one obsession per match.
“You don’t remember? You must. You’re my number one, and you’ll never wake up again.” –Freddy Krueger
Unique to Nightmare until level 35, which its Teachable version can then be learned and taught to the other Killers
Power: Dream Demon Edit
Death won't accept him and thus he remains, a calamity, indisputable master of his victims' nightmares. Dream Demon allows The Nightmare to pull Survivors into the Dream World.
- Survivors who are awake do not see The Nightmare.
- Once targeted by The Nightmare's power, Survivors enter the Dream Transition for 7 seconds.
- During the Dream Transition, they can see The Nightmare intermittently.
- When the Dream Transition lapse, the Survivor is pulled into the Dream World.
Once in the Dream World:
- Survivors' auras are revealed to The Nightmare when they are outside of his terror radius.
- Survivors suffer an action speed penalty of 50%.
- To exit the Dream World, Survivors can find other non-sleeping Survivors to perform a wake-up action.
- Some failed actions can wake up the Survivor.
- Getting hooked to wake up the Survivor.
- "You have nothing to worry about. This won't hurt one... little... a bit." — Freddy Krueger
Dream Demon Add-Ons Edit
|Wool Shirt||A small boy's orange and yellow striped shirt. Identified with a sewn name tag to "Jesse".
|Sheep Block||A white and blue wooden block depicting two woolly Lambs grazing and the letter "S".
|Kid's Drawing||An unattributed drawing clearly crafted by a young child.
|Garden Rake||A small claw rake, a must have tool for any accomplished gardener.
|Prototype Claws||A home-made tool to facilitate bush trimming.
|Outdoor Rope||Sturdy outdoor rope, handy to tie up anything.
|Nancy's Sketch||A crude and bold sketch made with Fusain, signed by Nancy H.
|Green Dress||A little girl's green dress with a silky white ribbon.
|Cat Block||A white and purple wooden block depicting a sleeping Cat and the letter "C".
|Unicorn Block||A white and red wooden block depicting a prancing Unicorn and the letter "U".
|Swing Chains||Rusty, but sturdy chains used to securely attach a swing seat.
|Nancy's Masterpiece||A painting of a Character, made by Nancy Holbrook at Badham and kept as a treasure memory.
|Jump Rope||A long Double Dutch jump rope, stained with many years of use.
|Blue Dress||A little girl's pale blue dress with white lace which's front is ruined by large cuts.
|Pill Bottle||An empty pill bottle which once contained a medicine called "Zoneral".
|Paint Thinner||A tin of a highly volatile and inflammable material.
|Class Photo||A large photograph taken at Badham Preschool showing the cheerful class of 94-95.
|"Z" Block||A deeply scratched and burnt wooden block which's only recognisable feature is the letter "Z".
|Red Paint Brush||A large paint brush, wet with crimson paint.
|Black Box||A black cardboard box filled with photographs.
There are currently 2 Achievements related to the Nightmare.
|Adept Nightmare||Achieve a merciless victory with The Nightmare using only his 3 unique perks.|
|Dream Master||Pull 200 Survivor into the Dream.|
Players may customize their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after the Nightmare reaches Level 50 and prestige.
The Nightmare's attire includes:
- Prestige I - >Prestige<(Weapon)
- Prestige II - >Prestige< (Head)
- Prestige III - >Prestige< (Body)
The Nightmare is currently part of 1 DLC package:
Available DLC Edit
- You're invisible to the survivors unless they're tagged into the Dream World, hence you are unable to harm survivors while they're awake.
- Awake survivors are alerted by the sound of the children's lullaby (not directional like the Huntress) instead of a heartbeat, and although Freddy is invisible, he still rustles the grass.
- Try to get all the survivors in the Dream World, survivors who are inflicted cannot wake others up and can only snap themselves out of it if they fail a skill check (gens, med kits, getting hooked) You can also see their auras when they're out of your terror radius while they're in sleep mode.
- Try to pull everyone into the Dream World. This is harder to do than it looks, but can be done.
- The Nightmare gives himself away due to interacting with World around him, moving grass, mud splats and scaring off Crows. so when trying to sneak up on survivors, try not to go through grass or get near Crows or they can tell where you are.
- The Shape, The Nightmare, and The Cannibal are all iconic slashers but this version of Freddy is based on the 2010 reboot and not the original Robert Englund version.
- The Nightmare is the 2nd Horror Guest killer to be apart of more than one video game. (First game being Mortal Kombat 9) & (First Horror Guest Killer being The Cannibal AKA Leatherface)
- The Nightmare is one of 7 Killers without glowing eyes. The others being The Trapper, The Nurse, The Shape, The Hag, The Huntress and The Cannibal.
- Though the character was popularized by Robert Englund, his appearance is based on the Jackie Earle Haley version of Freddy.
- The Nightmare's Memento Mori animation is the second one in which the Survivor attempts to get up on their own.
- The first one was the Memento Mori animation of the Cannibal.
- The Nightmare currently doesn't have any Add-ons that would be affected by Tinkerer.
- Any sleeping Survivor will have a cloud around their Status Icon in the HUD, indicating them as being asleep and in the Dream World.
- His execution is a reference to Jesse's death from the 2010 reboot.
- This is the Third game that The Nightmare is a guest character. (First being Mortal Kombat 9 & Second being Mortal Kombat X Mobile)